Sunday 16 March 2008

Racism is alive and well in Dublin I'm sorry to say.

Racism is alive and well in Dublin I'm sorry to say.
Everyone knows that the Irish are the most friendly race on the planet, they will stop and chat to anyone with no exceptions they just want to help and be friendly.
So where are the friendly Irish?
Answer is, when you visit Ireland now, it's hard to find them in the tourist areas. There are shop assistants, Hotel staff, bartenders, that cant speak English,
Three lovely lads from England told me they will never come back to Dublin after their experience at the hands of night club doormen. The lads were nice, respectable sober and Black.

Problem is that all the doormen they met were foreign (The new Irish) and all refused them entry. The English lads realised that they were being refused for the colour of their skin and they acknowledged that the doormen were not Irish. I am quoting them here: "It will be a long time before we set foot in Dublin again."
I am not racist, I do just wish people in the tourist industry would think a little more about what they are doing when employing staff to meet and greet our tourists. It's a cost cutting exercise that will cost them dearly in the long term. The general consensus seems to be milk them dry, give them as little possible for their money, send them home broke and unhappy resigned to never come back again.
I don't expect things will change much either like a lot of things here in Ireland we will probably close the gate after the horse has bolted.

No comments: